- Home /
- FR University
General Information and FR terms:
None of the current regulations governing the use of FR clothing specifically require the use of FR thread for embroidery applications. However, recommends the use of flame-resistant thread for embroidery or emblem attachments.
Commonly Used Terms
- Flame Resistant (FR) - A fabric or product that resists ignition and self-extinguishes after removal of the ignition source.
- Vertical Flame Test - A basic test that determines whether or not a fabric is FR by measuring how much of the fabric is consumed after 12 seconds of flame exposure.
- Arc Rating - The value for fabrics that describes their performance under exposure to an electrical arc discharge. Testing determines when the amount of exposure results in a 50% probability of causing the onset of second-degree skin burn. The arc rating is expressed in cal/cm2. It can be either an ATPV or an EBT.
- ATPV - The Arc Thermal Performance Value of a fabric shown in cal/cm2.
- EBT - The Energy of Breakopen Threshold. The cal/cmÂ² at which the fabric breaks open before it reaches its ATPV.
Protective Clothing Chart
|Hazard Risk Category or PPE Category||Clothing Description||Required Minimum Arc Rating of PPE Cal/cm2|
|Arc-rated FR Long-sleeve shirt and FR pants or FR coverall.||4|
|Arc-rated FR Long-sleeve shirt and FR pants or FR coverall.||8|
|Arc-rated FR Long-sleeve shirt and FR pants or FR coverall, and arc flash suit selected so that the system arc rating meets the required minimum.||25|
|Arc-rated FR Long-sleeve shirt and FR pants or FR coverall, and arc flash suit selected so that the system arc rating meets the required minimum.||40|
Broberry Manufacturing, Inc. is a Five Star and A+ promotional products supplier and manufacturer. We are family owned and operated and pride ourselves in exceeding our customer’s expectations. We truly partner with our customers to provide you with product knowledge, low costs and excellent customer service.
(+330) 995 0736